In 1847, meetings were held at the Sussex Hotel, Walkerville Terrace to plan the building of a church in this area. The local brewer, William Williams gave the land and enthusiastic support was given by his friends. St Andrew’s was built and dedicated in 1848.
All the windows in this historic church are of stained glass and there are many other interesting features to engross the visitor.
Memorial Rose Garden
This was planted in 1963 on the Fuller Street boundary beside the church. It provides for the interment of ashes by families who wish to use such a facility. There are no fees, and no plaques installed. Ashes are technically scattered, which means they are not buried in a container.
Upon request some families have been permitted to contribute a memorial rose planting, according to the original layout and thus increasing the number of roses in the garden. The names of those whose ashes have been interred are written in a memorial book that is availble on request.
There are no restrictions on whose ashes may be buried in the Rose Garden. Although no fees are required you may wish to consider giving a donation to the work of the Church.
A short form of prayers is used when ashes are interred at a time convenient to the family. Or they may be interred at the end of a Sunday service.. Please speak to the Parish Priest to discuss the matter further.
The Stained Glass Windows
St Andrew’s Church is fortunate to have an extensive collection of stained glass windows, the majority of which are from the British Company of James Powell and Sons of Whitefriars. This firm was established in 1680 and did not begin making stained glass until the nineteenth century, when it revived the interest in medieval glass. By 1870, it became one of the most progressive firms making stained glass. During its history, the Whitefriars Studio boasted many eminent designers and their work is displayed in the windows of St Andrews.
Another company displaying windows at St Andrew’s is Morris and Co. The figures of St Gabriel and St Michael in the nave are designed by Burne-Jones, the most notable of Morris and Co.’s designers.