In 2006, St Andrew’s Church was listed on the State Heritage List and a plan to restore the Church was formed. The restoration is taking place in two stages: Stage One – the organ (completed in 2008); Stage Two – the building.
A fund was established in partnership with the South Australian National Trust to appeal for funds. Thanks to a generous response from the public, Stage One was completed in 2008 with the restoration and rebuild of the organ.
Restoration of the church building, including the interior, was carried out from 2012-13 with the advice of Heritage Architect Liz Vines, and the Heritage Stone Restorations. This formed a major part of the Stage Two development.
Funding is now required to complete repairs and restoration of the and bell tower. The remaining work involves repair of the roof. Without your generous donations, this work cannot be completed.
If you would like to donate to help preserve this church, please refer below.
Stage 1: The Organ – Completed
The Anglican Church of St Andrew, Walkerville in South Australia, is blessed with a pipe organ of special musical significance which has served well since the last major rebuild 44 years ago.
The Organ is used regularly to accompany the services at St Andrew’s Church and at significant festivals and other special occasions such as the many weddings and funerals held in the church.
The Organ is used for recitals, especially in the Adelaide Fringe Festival, for carol services and other special choral festivals.
The Organ was restored and completely rebuilt in 1962 as a War Memorial Organ. The former tuner, Mr Leith Jacob, who worked on the 1962 rebuild, completed the restoration and rebuilding of the organ in 2008. This was made possible by the generous response from parishioners over recent years who contributed to this stage of the project.
Stage 2: The Building
The Story of the Building
The Anglican Church of St Andrew, Walkerville in South Australia, was one of the earliest churches built outside the parklands of Adelaide and was the first church to be built free of debt.
Since its consecration on 23 August 1848, the church has undergone three major additions, with the combined result that none of the original 1848 fabric now remains. Although different materials were used for each addition, the church’s original Gothic revival style was maintained.
Adding to its early English Gothic appearance, St Andrew’s Church has an outstanding collection of late-nineteenth and early-twentieth century stained-glass windows and a fine pipe organ.
The significance of the property in architectural, social and historical terms is well established. An extensive Conservation Management Plan was prepared by McDougall & Vines, Conservation & Heritage Consultants in 2010. The Parish is also working closely with Arcuate Architecture, and its Principal, Ian Hamilton. This provides a sound base for decisions around the conservation and ongoing management of St Andrew’s Church, to ensure that all future decisions are carried out with regards to its heritage significance.
The parish is currently seeking to raise a total of $700,000 for conservation work on the bells and bell-tower.
The following documents are in PDF format. Click to open in a new window or right click and ‘Save Target As’